• Am I eligible?
  • How do I apply?
  • How much can I borrow?
  • How do I repay my loan?
  • How do I check my loan balance (or whether I even have a loan)?
  • Will I get a refund or re-credit if I withdraw?
  • Where can I find other resources?
  • Certificate IV Trial
  • New Zealand Citizens​
  • Am I eligible?

    To be eligible for VET FEE-HELP:

    • You must be an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.
    • You must not have exceeded your FEE-HELP limit, and
      • you meet the tax file number requirements and
      • you submit the Request for VET FEE-HELP Assistance to South Metropolitan TAFE prior to the census date.

    Visit the Study Assist website for full eligibility criteria.

    How do I apply?

    1. If eligible for VET FEE HELP, you will need to submit your tax file number (TFN) and a completed a Request for VET FEE-HELP assistance form to the Admissions Office at South Metropolitan TAFE before the census date.
    2. Before you sign and submit your form you must read the VET FEE-HELP information for 2016 booklet. The form will ask you to provide your tax file number.
      • If you do not have a TFN, you can give South Metropolitan TAFE a Certificate of application for a TFN but you will need to organise an interview with Australia Post with your evidence as we require your Tax file number back before your first census date. For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)​ once you receive your TFN your need to let us know, this can be done at our Customer Service Centre.
    3. You must submit the signed and completed form to South Metropolitan TAFE 16 days before the census date or administrative date of the first unit of study. If you do not submit your form on or before the census date, you will not be eligible for a VET FEE-HELP loan.

    How much can I borrow?

    In 2016, the FEE-HELP limit is $99,389 for most VET students (as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003). The FEE-HELP limit is indexed on 1 January each year.

    There is no loan fee for subsidised VET qualifications at South Metropolitan TAFE but a 20% loan fee applies to non-subsidised VET courses. You will be required to repay the loan to the Australian Government through the tax system once you reach the minimum income threshold level for repayment.

    Once a student has borrowed an amount equal to the FEE-HELP limit (as indexed at that time), they will not be able to receive further VET FEE-HELP or FEE-HELP assistance to pay their tuition fees. Repayments do not reset the maximum that can be borrowed.

    How do I repay my loan?

    You have to start repaying your VET FEE-HELP debt through the taxation system once your repayment income is above the compulsory repayment threshold, even if you are still studying. The compulsory repayment thresholds is adjusted each year. The compulsory repayment threshold is $54,126 for the 2015-16 income year.​

    Your repayment income is calculated using the following amounts from your income tax return:

    • your taxable income;
    • reportable fringe benefits (as reported on the payment summary);
    • total net investment loss (which includes net rental losses);
    • reportable super contributions; and,
    • any exempt foreign employment income amounts.

    If you have an accumulated HELP debt and earn more than the minimum repayment threshold, you will have a compulsory repayment included as part of your income tax assessment.

    For more information on repaying your HELP debts, including the latest Repaying Your Help Debt guide, visit the Australian Tax Office website.

    How do I check my loan balance (or whether I even have a loan)?

    To check whether you have a debt, confirm the amount you have borrowed or find out your loan balance, students can either visit the myUniAssist website​ or contact the Australian Tax Office on 13 28 61.

    Will I get a refund or re-credit if I withdraw?

    If you have applied for a VET FEE-HELP loan, and if you withdraw from a unit or course before or on the census date, you will not incur a VET FEE-HELP debt for the unit or course you are withdrawing from and you will receive a full refund of any tuition fees that you have paid up-front.

    If you withdraw from a unit or course after the census date, you may be eligible for re-credit of your FEE-HELP balance, if special circumstances apply. In this case, you will need to complete and submit an Application for Refund and Re-credit of FEE-HELP BALANCE form available on our VET FEE-HELP Forms, Policies and Procedures page.

    Reminder: You will incur a debt if you applied for VET FEE HELP and failed to withdraw before the census date. Any up-front payments will be lost and your FEE-HELP limit will be reduced.

    Where can I find other VET FEE-HELP resources?

    Downloadable resources

    For forms, policies and procedures, visit our VET FEE-HELP Forms, Policies and Procedures page.​​​​​​

     Certificate IV Trial

    Western Australia took part in a national trial extending access to VET FEE-HELP loans to subsidised students in the following Certificate IV qualifications:

    • Aged Care;
    • Education Support; 
    • Disability;
    • Community Services Work.

    The trial commenced in January 2014 and is to include units completed by 31 December 2016.

    After 31 December 2016 these courses will not be eligible for VET FEE-HELP. Any unit(s) that pass this date will not be covered under VET FEE-HELP and need to be paid without access to VET FEE-HELP loan.

New Zealand Citizens​
​The Australian Government has passed legislation to provide VET FEE-HELP loan to New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa (SCV) holders and meet the requisite criteria.
Note: New Zealand SCV holders must be required to meet eligibility criteria. Please visit the Study Assist website for more information. 


    Back to Top